Most recent post
One of the criticism's of the Hello Web Design book is whether teaching folks how to design will take away work from professional designers. As a "real" designer (degree in ...
- On hiring a virtual assistant (something I should have done years ago)
- Case Study: WeddingLovely
- What I Wish I Did Differently: Self-Promotion
- What I Wish I Did Differently: Self-Deprecation
- What I Wish I Did Differently: Networking
- What I Wish I Did Differently: Blogging
- Attending events as an introvert: Make one meaningful connection
- Essential services your startup should use (especially if you're bootstrapped)
- Allegory on bootstrapping
- Why I'm an entrepreneur
- The worst enemy to my startup is depression.
- Small-business customer acquisition for your freemium product launch.
- Why WeddingLovely releases a print product, and how we do it.
- How to thrive as a solo non-technical founder
- I'm a Designer Who Learned Django and Launched her First Webapp in 6 Weeks
- Technical Co-founder Wanted for Disrupting the Wedding Industry.
- Stop waiting for things to be perfect
- Keeping inspired at the right times
- Stress and feeling like I need to be positive all the time.
- 2016 Reviewed
- Two companies that I appreciate
- When I’m the only woman at an event.
- Five tips for improving your technical writing and documentation.
- I've joined the DreamFactory team!
- Moving to Toronto + Looking for New Opportunities
- My 2015 reviewed
- What I've been up to lately
- Interviewed by Lincoln Loop
- Creative Storytelling: The Most Dangerous Thing I've Ever Done
- My Django Story — Interviewed by Django Girls
- The Big Web Show
- Work Relationship Status: Single
- It's my birthday!
- Don't settle for easy
- Speaking at Silicon Valley Geek Dinner
I often warn friends who are thinking of running a Kickstarter campaign that it's 30 days of pretty much constant stress and worries.
For the last year, I've been traveling around the world giving my Design for Non-Designers talk. After working on Hello Web App, which teaches web app development to non-programmers, I ...
I spent six years working on my business before hiring a virtual assistant and now I couldn't imagine life without her. Here's what I've learned.
Wow, what a year, right? I had a fairly good year. I thought a bit about not doing this post (mainly because I am still depressed over the state of ...
Two recent experiences with two companies lately made me realize that I often forget something more important — that I should write about my positive experiences. It's so easy to ...
I run a startup, I am very involved in the programming world, and I attend a lot of conferences throughout the year. Often at events, dinners, or meetups I notice ...
Get more users and fewer support requests by leveling up your writing and technical documentation.
I’m so pleased to announce that I’ve taken a developer relations role at DreamFactory! DreamFactory is a free open source REST API Platform for mobile, web, and IoT applications, and ...
In 2011, I taught myself how to code Python and Django to launch my startup, WeddingLovely. I got something working, but over the years of working with Python and Django, ...
I'm moving to Toronto and looking for a job (!) and thought I'd deep dive into my two main projects to showcase my work. WeddingLovely is an online wedding vendor ...
After six (!) years of working full-time on WeddingLovely in California, my husband and I are moving to Toronto and I'm exploring the possibilities of working on something new. I've ...
Funny how you can sit down on December 31st and feel like you did nothing the whole year... and yet it was the busiest one yet.
I feel kind of like a terrible marketer right now, because Hello Web App: Intermediate Concepts was officially released yesterday and this is my first real announcement about it. Whoops. ...
I spoke twice at DjangoCon US (not counting my tutorial/workshop!) as well as a quick Kickstarter campaign update.
My goal with Hello Web App was to create a small, easily digestible book that walks you through everything you would need to launch your first web app — albeit, ...
How I run a bootstrapped marketplace with eleven different properties and 5,000 vendors — by myself.
I launched WeddingLovely, my startup, nearly five years ago. WeddingLovely, in a nutshell, is a free online wedding planning guide and wedding vendor marketplace. My goal is to walk couples ...
A month ago, I released my first book, Hello Web App, an introduction to web app development for non programmers. I've been writing on the HWA blog about the process ...
Thanks to Joni Trythall and the lovely folks at Lincoln Loop for interviewing me! I spoke about the process of writing Hello Web App, running a Kickstarter, and my advice ...
I've been working on Hello Web App for over a year now — it was around November 2013 when I started pondering the idea about writing my own book, after ...